Happy Monday! Today’s Miniature Monday is a dollhouse miniature trunk tutorial.
These instructions are the steps I took to make this trunk. There are no rules and most likely, there’s a better or easier way to build it, but I just get an idea in my head and off I go. And if I’m lucky, it works out… AND I remember to take pictures along the way!
The measurements in Picture 1 are not written in stone. You can make the trunk any size you want. I work in 1:12 scale. I like to start with easy measurements. Like whole or half numbers. 🙂 The 4 stick pieces are the braces that will be glued to the bottom to add stability when the sides are attached. (As shown in Pictures 2 and 3.) In Picture 4, I’m using clamps to hold the braces in place while the glue dries.
After the braces are dried, attach the sides of the trunk using wood glue. Legos, in Picture 5, (one of my favorite miniature making tool!) are used to keep the sides at a 90 degree angle while drying. After all four sides are attached and dried, it’s time to paint. You can see in Picture 7 that I used 2 different colors for the trunk. First I painted it a dark blue, then washed it slightly with an emerald-green paint. This give the piece a bit of dimension.
The next step, Picture 8, I didn’t photograph the process very well. I took a “L” shaped piece of wood and cut 45 degree angles to add trim to the top, bottom and sizes. I have to admit… figuring out which way to position the piece of wood to get the right cut took a toll on my little brain. And I can’t tell you how I finally did it. It just took a lot of time and a lot of “words” before it came out right. If you don’t want to attempt it, you can add trim using two pieces of wood, or even use paper.
After I trimmed around the top, bottom and sides with the L shape wood, I used quilling paper to add more details to the trunk. I took a gray/silver piece of quill paper and stained over it with dark walnut. Once dried, the stained quilling paper was measured, cut and glued to the trunk.
Take a break or you’ll miss number your blog post pictures… 😉
The hardware for the trunk came out of nowhere. I wasn’t sure what I was going to use, but after rummaging through my “findings”, came across a metal bead tube. It had a cool design on it, so I smashed it flat with a wrench (Picture 13 and 14). Then I cut off a piece of the side that didn’t fold. (Picture 15)
Made two more pieces of hardware and glued them on for the latches. The center “latch” got an extra detail using a snipped off head of a brad. I also added pieces of black quilling paper on the corners of the trunk to resemble black metal brackets.
There you go. A one of a kind trunk/chest for your dollhouse.